Pages

Monday, October 26, 2015

Cheers to the New Year!

Hello Friends!

I’m WAY early with this card design but you know how your mind travels from one thing to another, to another, etc. Here is how it went.

I was looking at elves in MFT’s Santa’s Elves set:
“You know if I turn that hand a little I could have it holding something.”
“Hmmm what could he hold?”
“Santa’s List? No”
“Beer Mug? That could be funny.”
“OOOH a champagne glass!”
And a New Year’s card was born.

I mentioned before that I suck at sketch challenges. I’m kind of a rule follower so deviating is hard. And starting out with a completed card and then trying to fill it in works in opposition to my creative mojo. But trying new things is how we become better designers. So I soldiered on with MFT Sketch #251. I’m still miffed that I missed last weeks because I didn’t post on time. (Deep breath, let it go…).

So where was I? Oh, yes, an elf holding a glass of champagne. After going through my stash of MFT products I found everything I needed including a champagne glass which I did have to trim down a bit.

 The gold background is colored with Lindy’s Stamp Gang Golden Sleigh Bells Magicals from the Jingle Bells collection. I used some distress ink techniques to get the background looking blotchy and cool. It's hard to tell but it is beautiful and shimmery. 

I colored the elf using the same Lindy’s Magical color and for the black I used the Wink of Stella Black Glitter Brush Pen and water to pull out the color. I really like how it turned out. The sparkle stayed in the depths. I was going to do some doodling and add a bow tie but felt the little elf dude looked pretty sophisticated just like he was in his cute little turtleneck.

I stamped all of the black accents and words with Simon Says Stamp black ink. I am really liking this ink. It gives a great crisp impression every time. I created the tag the old fashioned way, meaning no die. LOL and stamped it with a sentiment from MFT’s Hand Lettered Holiday set.


The checkboard was created using MFT’s Fine Check Background. First I stamped in Brilliance Gold Ink, then VersaMark Dazzle Champagne Ink, then embossed with Lindy’s Stamp Gang Sunrise Salmon Gold.

Check out this background texture! It looks like fabric. That was created with the Spellbinders Fabric Weave Embossing Folder. It is absolutely gorgeous on this black paper.

I finished up with some glitter enamel dots from my stash, a piece of Pretty Pink Posh ribbon and some Glossy Accents on the buttons, the bell, and to create bubbles floating up from the Champagne.




8 comments:

  1. So fun! Th background texture is amazing! I love him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean. He is so much nicer in person because of the shimmer.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous card Tammy! The image is super cute and so beautifully coloured.
    Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
    Mandy xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is perfect! Love how you changed your stamps up a bit to create this "cheer"-ful elf. Thank you so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! Love these elf's and that he is holding a champagne glass. Awesome! So great to see this over on StampNation too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristie. I wasn't sure if anyone would really notice it on Stamp Nation with all the wonderful cards up there. This is the first card I posted there.

      Delete
  5. Terrific card! I love the color scheme you chose, and I can just imagine the shine and sparkle. Thank you for explaining how you made your card.

    ReplyDelete